FAQ for Benefits

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33 what benefits will I receive?
Most commonly, students under Chapter 33 will receive tuition and fee payment, monthly housing allowance (MHA) and a book and supplies stipend.

Where will the various Chapter 33 benefit payments be sent?
The housing and the book and supply stipend will be sent directly to the student, and the Tuition and Fees payment will be sent directly to the school.

Does the yearly $23,671.94 per academic year National Maximum apply to UCSF?
No, the National Maximum applies to Private or Foreign Schools. UCSF is a public institution and the school’s maximum reimbursement per year is All Tuition & Fee Payments for an in-State Student.

What is the monthly housing allowance (MHA) amount for UCSF students?
The MHA is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents; based on UCSF’s zip code 94143. To find the most current rates, search for University of California-San Francisco on the VA’s Website.

**Section 501 and 107 of the Colmery Act have been postpone to due technical issues.

How much is the yearly books and supplies stipend?
Up to $1,000 paid based on your enrollment.

Can I use my VA Benefits at UCSF?
For a list of approved programs please visit the VA’s website and search University of California-San Francisco. If your program is not listed, contact the UCSF Certifying Official, Christine Coleman.

Will my VA Benefits cover the summer term?
Yes. If you have specific questions, please contact the UCSF Certifying Official, Christine Coleman.

When will I receive my monthly housing allowance (MHA)?
The MHA will be paid at the beginning of each month for the prior month.
Example: You will receive July’s payment in the beginning of August.

Are VA Education Benefits taxable?
No. Any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

How do I sign up for Direct Deposit with the VA?
You can sign up for Direct Deposit through the WAVE system or by calling 888-442-4551.

How can I contact the VA in regards to Education Benefits?
You contact the VA Regional Office Education Call Center at 888-442-4551, Monday-Friday 7AM to 7PM (CST)

Does Chapter 33 cover Student Health Insurance?
Yes, Student Health Insurance is covered under Chapter 33 Benefits.

Does Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment cover Student Health Insurance?
No, Student Health Insurance is not covered because an individual receiving Chapter 31 is covered through VA Healthcare. All students receiving Chapter 31 will need to complete a waiver request through UCSF Student Health